Monday, December 21, 2009

1976 Explorer Skyhawk

Information for Andy on this one of a kind Buick, would surely be appreciated.
 Here is some further info from Andy: We were responsible for the turbo V-6 which was our project concept idea. The first one was a twin turbo put in an Apollo. When Ken Baker pulled out onto JP Cole and hit the gas it snapped the axle shaft at the flange. They promptly had a custom axle built for it. In house of course. The other project car of fame was the Show-and Go Skyhawk. It had flared body panels to look like a IMSA race car. This car featured a normally aspirated 231 V-6 with the help of Kenny Bell Engineering. It was show cased at several events. It also was used as a pace car at several tracks. I was fortunate to have been a part of that and drive those cars. My uncle Dale Klee was one of the photographer's for Buick Engineering and got my cousin and I in the program. I went on to do my apprenticeship at Buick while going to school in Engineering. I got my Electrical card and shortly after got my Electrical Engineering degree. I left hourly on good terms and went to Delco. I did 8 years Engineering supervision over advanced development and reliability engineering test facilities. I later went to NAO and project over-site ending with the Malibu transfer to Lansing from Oklahoma City. I was offered a early out as they were eliminating unclassified level employee's. I took it with no benefits and ran.
I have roots to Buick, my grandfather was plant superintendent of axle plant before the big war. He was promoted to head up Turnsteadt on Coldwater rd. He had a third heart attack and had to retire before it opened. My dad worked at Buick 36 in the late 50's. He took heads off the line and stacked them, by hand without assistance.

Andy says: I am trying to track down some info from the mid 70's about the Explorer Scout Post 504 that I was a part of. We developed the first Turbo V-6 as our concept project. That is my mission to find info on. We also had the Show and Go Skyhawk in the attached photo.
Any help with people to contact or documentation and photo's would be appreciated. 
For further history on this project I refer you to the sixth edition of "THE BUICK A COMPLETE HISTORY" by: Dunham and Gustin, page 315 specifically.



Thank You, Link: http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36180



Andy Popovich II
3075 Beechtree Lane
Flushing, MI 48433
810-516-0551







Andy says: This is what started the turbo 231 V6 that eventually ended up in production;... as I recall.
This is the first year of the program, The second year was the Skyhawk;... that I sent you a few years ago. This was the first turbo V6 car at Buick which eventually found its way into an Indy pace car, then production
I hope you can post this so all can see and remember..
thanks,
Andy

No comments: