Friday, January 18, 2008

Jim Yuill Family & History

All of my family were Buick people. My grandfather was a "metal pourer" in factory 20/70 before the depression. My other grandfather was a crankshaft hammer-man in factory 03. My step-father was a carpenter in the Pattern shop that serviced the foundry and repaired wood station wagon bodies that had wood repairs needed to make them look right when he wasn't building squeeze boards or platforms for use in the Plant. My mother is retired from AC and at 96 lives in Mt. Morris. I worked for 16 1/2 years at Buick, Four years I was a G.M.I. student. I hired in as an inspector fresh out of Flint Tech HS, in 1955. I started at G.M.I. the following October. I spent a year in Fact. 6 as a student, then back to 70 for the rest of my time. I was a foreman for 4 years in melting, molding, core-room and in the cleaning room. In 1962 I was a G.F. in all the same areas. In 1968 I became an Ass't. Sup't in Factory 18/68 until G.M.P.D. took over. We all got demoted and then back to Flint. I stayed there until 1971 when I moved to Illinois and took a job with the state Health Department in Springfield. It was obvious that 70 was gonna close and I didn't care to go through the re-organizational hassle. We are spread all over the US but stay in touch. They worked in 5, 10, 12, 36 & 70. It's hard to believe that 52 years ago, fresh out of High School I started there at $1.47 per hour and worked the 5:30 PM till 7:00 AM shift in the Cleaning Room inspecting Castings. Thirteen hours, 7 days a week was big money then. I bought a 1955 Chevy Bel Air hardtop fully loaded for $2358. Thanks for all your help Jim!



No comments: