Saturday, March 8, 2008

Factory #05 Machine Work

This view showing machine work on transmission splines I believe is in factory #05 but could possibly be factory #31. My knowledge of transmission work in the fifties is sketchy at best. I know that old #40 south of Leith st was building the Syncro-mesh while #10 was building the Dynaflow. I've driven a 1955 and 1957 Buick and believe me they were pretty incredible. Buick was the main experimental location for automatic transmissions dating back to the early thirties. During one fiasco that Detroit forced on them, it nearly ruined Buick with a loss of over 80 million dollars. My Powerglide in my 66 Caprice doesn't come close to having the smooth shifts of the Buick during the fifties, but is more dependable.  News link for 1935 transmission story.  1930 Syncro-mesh story.

No comments: